Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2014 22:50:11 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VMware and 8.4 known issues?

On 09 Sep 2014, at 18:56 , Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net> wrote:

Hi,

> I have about a dozen FreeBSD 8.4 VMs running on a pair of ESXi
> (5.0.0, build 469512) boxes.  Generally, I have not had any problems
> with this configuration.  However one particular VM, which is
> running the same kernel and same VMware settings as the other VMs
> has paniced twice in the past few months.
>=20
> I do not have a core dump, but both times a message regading the
> CD-ROM device was logged shortly before the panic:
>=20
> Sep 9 08:50:56 shellvm kernel: ata1: WARNING - READ_TOC read data
> overrun 18>12

I remember those from 2010.  Not been running freebsd 8 in a long time.

The best workaround I found back then was indeed to remove CDROM (and =
for that matter also did the floppy;-) as much as possible from VMware.  =
I cannot remember if that was good enough to get entirely rid of it =
anymore ( I think some devices maybe floppy still showed up ) but I have =
never seen this after going to 9 and 10 certainly.

=97=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983