Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:23:23 +0900
From:      Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is ata2 ?

> > It's also been suggested that this may be on a
> > multifunction card, which would typically be a
> > multimedia card.
>
> OK, I will soon shut the system down and inspect
> the inside of the box.

Was going to complain that you hadn't done that earlier, but maybe
you've been in the middle of a long build world or something.

> For now, another, possibly silly, question:
> If this is indeed a multifunctional multimedia card,
> then does that mean I can connect another harddisk
> to this card, and it will be recognized as a
> harddisk on ata2 ?

Very likely.

However, if freeBSD does what some other OSses do when it sees the added
disk, you may find you need to edit /etc/fstab .

> And connect my speakers at the speaker connectors
> and play music with the very same card?

Maybe. Probably. Won't know unless you try it.

> And, eh, this is a rather old PC.
> Dmesg says:
>   CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron
>        (239.83-MHz 686-class CPU)