Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:01:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

[oops, left this in my outgoing mailbox for quite some time...]

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> Well yes, that's what the SGML gurus seem to say when they are
> waxing philosophical... :)
>
> I think it could be done, but the sheer complexity caused by
> the number of elements and attributes that would be necessary
> would make it rather impractical.

It wouldn't be astoundingly complex, you just have to ditch the
notion of descriptive markup.

There is nothing in the ISO8879:1986 that says "SGML documents
must use descriptive markup", it is just the philosophical point
of view.  You could just as easily make a DTD that is strictly
procedural markup.  In fact, there was a thread in comp.text.sgml
some time back about crafting an SGML declaration and DTD that
would make RTF documents valid SGML.  It could almost be done.
You could come up with something that looks very much like troff
as well.

> The problem, as I see it, is that if you are going to have to
> resort to using icons for tools, you could end up with
> such a large number of icons (and remember, each of these
> icons must be large enough for a few knobs (or does the icon
> grow larger when we drop something on it to allow finer control?))
> that the whole system becomes unuseable.

This is a problem, and its solution lies in shifting the focus
from GUIifying an existing command line tool, to looking at the
user tasks and developing what may well be a completely different
approach to the same end.  Analogy: instead of designing a new
screwdriver, look at the task of fastening things and ponder
whether a new fastener would be even better.  On the Macintosh,
there is no parallel to the ls command; they have taken a
different approach to the task locating files.

> Or, maybe in practice it's not necessary to have more than a single
> row of icons.

Good question.  I quick head count on /sbin /usr/sbin /bin and
/usr/bin shows 611 commands.  How many are used and of
those, how many are commonly used?
[I was going to do an analysis of a heavily used box here, but my
 little command pipeline ran for 40 minutes and was sucking over
 100 megabytes of physical ram before I killed it (to avert being
 flamed for inappropriate resource usage).]

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================