Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:15:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dangerously Dedicated

> Simple solution?  Don't use DD.
>
> Slightly less simple?  Don't use DD on drives that are in any way
> involved with the boot process, but go ahead on data-only drives.

heh -- intel's LB440GX+ motherboards with recent bioses wont boot if _any_
drive in the system has 0xAA55 on the end of the sector 0, but then not
valid information on the disk -- ie take any disk in the box - including
non-boot disks and dd boot1 onto sector 0.  The box will now no longer
boot untill you remove the disk.  Fortunately, PXE booting still works and
you can remotely recover from problems like this if you have it set
up... :)  Now thats what I call and improved bios.  ugh.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.