Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 18:54:23 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        bradley@dunn.org (Bradley Dunn)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POP3 RADIUS and long usernames

Bradley Dunn writes:
> Hey, just thought I would let everyone know that we had no problems upping
> the limit to 16. All we did was:
>
> Make UT_NAMESIZE in <utmp.h> 16.
> Make MAXLOGNAME in <sys/param.h> 16.
> Add eight more spaces between the "USER" and "TTY" fields at line 228 of
> 	src/usr.bin/w/w.c (Just for cosmetics).
> Also, if you use the adduser script, up the check for length.
>
> Nothing has broken (yet).

One additional place I found recently was the username check
in libskey, which currently truncates usernames to 8 characters
(/usr/src/lib/libskey/skeylogin.c). This is still 8 in -current
as of today but the author and maintainer are aware of it, so
I expect a patch of some sort will filter through shortly.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freefall.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/