Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:20:00 +0100
From:      Neil Ford <maillistsubs@binky.demon.co.uk>
To:        "newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Don't log onto current.freebsd.org...

On Wednesday, July 15, 1998 9:46 AM, Donald Burr [SMTP:dburr@POBoxes.com]
wrote:

> * ADVOCACY.  Plain and simple, FreeBSD is not a household word yet.
 Linux
> is much more in that direction than FreeBSD is -- ask a corporation's IS
> department if they've heard of Linux, they will probably say "yes."  We
> need the word out -- if the company where you work needs a quick Internet
> solution (e.g. a webserver, mailserver, whatever), go to the IS
department
> and preach FreeBSD.  Give them a copy of your CD (this is a GREAT use for
> older FreeBSD CD's -- if you bought 2.2.6 and you still have 2.2.5
sitting
> around, hand it over!  They don't necessarily need to see the latest and
> greatest, just for a demo.

Ummm... done this one :-)

The place where I work wanted to build an FTP server for it's overseas
developers to use rather than have them dial in to the network.  Great
idea!  Don't have to support international dial-up connections and it's
cheaper for the developers.

Problem 1
They wanted to run it on NT.  Why?  Because every other server within the
division was NT and that was obviously the way to go! (No flames please,
just read to the end :-)

After much discussion sense was seen and it was agreed that we would do it
on Unix.  Success you might think, but no... the plot thickens.

Problem 2
Having got the Network Manager's buy in (he was actually in favour from the
outset. long story) we move onto deciding the actual OS.  Wanting to keep
the spend low it's agreed that we will use one of the 'free' unixes.  Okay
think I, things are going to plan.... wrong!  To a person they all pipe up
and say 'So we're using Linux then'.  Okay, uphill struggle number two :-)

Did some major explaining, showed them ftp.cdrom.com (and the articles in
the newsletters), posed the question as to why a lot of ISPs seemed to use
FreeBSD but not many (any?) used Linux.  Finally the penny dropped.

End result: the ftp server will be implemented on FreeBSD.  I even had the
pleasure of going and getting a copy of The Complete FreeBSD for them (I
think the guy in the bookshop thought I was crazy, I'd only bought mine
about two weeks ago :-)

Not a major breakthrough maybe, but it is a start.  They are now talking
about putting a DNS in place and seem to be warming to the idea of not
doing that on NT either.  So you never know....

Next up: moving all my personal machines over to FreeBSD.

Neil.