Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:40:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD hardware Users <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Heat sinks and coolers: grease or pad?

I recently bought an AMD K6/233, and I'm still looking for a cooler
which will keep it cool enough.  Today I got a thing double the size
of the last (well-dimensioned) one, and mounted it.  It look bovine
rc564 3 minutes to overheat the processor.

I'm wondering what to do next.  Both this cooler (which claims a
thermal resistance of 0.8°C/W) and the previous one have a pad stuck
on to the processor side, presumably in order to facilitate heat
transfer.  What's the best way to use this?  Should I use thermal
grease anyway?  Should I use it instead?  Any other bright ideas?

Greg