Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:27:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Jacob Suter <jsuter@uranus.intrastar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portslave?

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Jacob Suter wrote:

> Has anyone checked out portslave?  It compiled fine in a test Slackware
> box, but it doesn't seem to want to work in FreeBSD.  My C skills are
> nearly nonexistant when it comes to porting stuff from Linux to FreeBSD...
>
> The website is http://homepage.cistron.nl/~miquels/radius/....  They also
> have a radius server and some other goodies on there (for the record the
> radius server works fine in FreeBSD, go figure).
>
> Portslave is actually a PM2 emulator for Unix (linux apparently).  Appears
> to work nicely but I really don't want to think about running anything
> that might actually need to be used on a regular basis under Linux.
>
> Thanks
> Jacob Suter
> Intrastellar Internet Service

I have one running on a linux 2.0 kernel. It works reasonably well
but I'm treating it as an experiment in trying to get cost/port
down on NAS. But alas, it's about to be recomissioned for other
server-based duties on FreeBSD as we are on the verge of converting
everything to USR Total Control.

For the record, this machine has had very few problems and
has never crashed in the last year it's been in service.

The main drawback with portslave, however, is until we have a well
supported CT1 or PRI DSP/modem ISA/PCI card, forget 56K modems on this
platform. Thats the mail reason for getting rid of it.

BTW, Miquel is wonderful and provided excellent help the very few
times I needed it getting started.

Jeffrey A. Lynch, President		      JORSM Internet
email: jeff@jorsm.com		Northwest Indiana's Full-Service Provider
Voice: (219)322-2180		   927 Sheffield Avenue, Dyer, IN 46311
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com		   http://www.jorsm.com