Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:33:10 GMT
From:      Matthieu Volat <matthieu.volat@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/163719: Ath interface do not receive multicast

>Number:         163719
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Ath interface do not receive multicast
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Connected in wireless with a AR9280 chipset, the net/mDNSResponder is not able to resolve/discover anything using multicast DNS.

Futher testing using tcpdump (tcpdump -i wlan0 ip and udp and port mdns) showed the requests (out packet to 224.0.0.251.mdns), but no answers from remote hosts. I suppose from this that it is a networking problem rather than an application bug.

Moreover, another FreeBSD laptop (7.2 with an intel wireless card) successfuly captured the answer the main laptop never received. I guess I cannot blame the Access Point.

Disabling the wireless interface and connecting the laptop to the network with its ethernet port also worked, remote multicast message were captured with tcpdump.
>How-To-Repeat:
Using a laptop with an AR9280 chipset, connect to a network. We also need a remote host able to send multicast messages. Example of problematic application is multicast DNS (net/mDNSResponder or net/avahi-app can be used).

Of course, if the test is with multicast DNS, ensure that the implementation daemons are running.

Start tcpdump to monitor the network on the laptop, and on the other host.

Start a multicast dns query (dns-sd -G v4 <host> or avahi-resolve-host-name -4 <host>) from the laptop.

Message from the laptop can be seend, but not those from the other host.