Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:22:13 +0200
From:      "Jonas Sonntag" <js@jonsonn.de>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: Innovation and Promotion

> We don't have a problem selling to the technology elite. But we are
> clueless when it comes to selling to the average Joe on the street. The
> new Unix/BSD/Linux isn't any more difficult than the old DOS/Win3 combo.
> Easier in many ways in fact. But the old DOS/Win3 is what got Microsoft
> its monopoly. All the elements are there if we want to succeed in the
> market.

i'm just a subscriber to this list, but i personally wouldn't want to have
the average joe sitting in front of my router.
i think if you made a kind of windows out of your fav. unix (an os that most
people can easily use) you would get the same stupid little problems that we
have since microsoft re-invented the web.

saw the little del c:\*.* thing? joe would scream if he saw something like
'Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart' everytime he tried to start his new
computer. just image that and add the functionality of a linux shell
compared to dos.

btw on the dos'es i know del c:\*.* would have to be confirmed, del
c:\autoexec.bat would succeed.
things are kept simple and safe in the ms world, because joe's computer
wouldn't run any more after a short time.
you may also try to delete c:\winnt\system32\calc.exe and you will see how
fast the os keeps the integrity of necessary
system files, at least on my win2k, which i think is a great os for my
private usage.

add that and all the other things that make an os simple to use for average
people in average houses and average offices and you will get windows.
remove explorer, right-click menus and multiuser functionality and you will
get mac os which is easily to use for everybody.
the more you try to make an os usable for a lot of people, the harder it
will be for experieced users to find their own solutions and get deeper into
the system. see the difference between 9x and nt?
average systems for average people.

this became a little long, just wanted to add that promotion has to be paid
and i think is not possible for an os that claims to be free.