Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:17:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.lib.mk "@"'s

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > How often do your calls to ld, mv and rm fail?
> >
> > That's not the point, the point is that current is a bleeding edge
> > thing, not production, and the details should not be hidden, there's no
> > possible justification for that.
>
> Sure there is, in the same manner that we don't use 'cc -v' as the
> command line parameters to see *all* the excruciating details of how a
> program is compiled.
>
> The '@' calls are not considered important details, and as such are
> hidden.  If we include *EVERYTHING* then finding the actual problem is
> often much harder due to trying to wade through the noise.
>
> The '@' commands help to reduce the noise, giving us a better
> signal/noise ratio.

On a buildworld, Nate?  Who's worried about signal to noise there?  I
could understand if you were talking about boot issues, but this is the
listing of a build that breaks on a regular basis.  Why are you worried
about keeping that listing clean?  What possible use is that?

Being clean comes into play when you're seeing the same damn thing, day
in and day out.  When it comes to troubleshooting, and that's the only
reason to look at that listing, I want as much detail as I can get.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).