Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 1997 15:44:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      yossman <yossman@yoss.canweb.net>
To:        Vladimir Litovka <doka@vl.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd disk manager?

it's probably also helpful to point out a little bit of procedure when it
comes to this.  you run sysinstall, go to 'configure', then 'partition',
then 'label'.  as you are finishing with the 'label' step, instead of
'(Q)uiting', use the '(W)rite' command.  it will do the pending partition
and label functions, and on my system at least, automatically mounts them
too.  i then exit sysinstall, do 'df', find out what the new device names
are for my new partitions, and make the correct entries in /etc/fstab.

i used to go through a very tricky process of adding drives until i
realized using sysinstall this way was pretty much reliable and CERTAINLY
easier.

one final note, i don't know if you have to make device entries for the
new drive ahead of time in /dev.  i believe they were there already for
me (wd2*), your system may vary (i'm using 2.2.2-R on most boxes).

yossman

On 2 Nov 1997, Vladimir Litovka wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Morgan Davis <mdavis@io.cts.com> wrote:
>
> > labeling disks is nice.  Is there a similar utility one could use on
> > an existing system?
>
> /stand/sysinstall
>
> --
>       Vladimir Litovka <doka@vl.net.ua>, hostmaster of vl.net.ua
>       ========  Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Yossarian Holmberg (yossman)                        yossman@yossman.org
System Administrator, National Online           http://www.yossman.org/
my statements are my own, not my employer's -- i do not speak for them.

'... and if i die, before i learn to speak .. can money pay for all the
days i've lived awake but half asleep?' -- Primitive Radio Gods,
"Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand"