Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:39:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chern Lee <chern@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>, Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: docs/38225: change "CDROM" to "CD-ROM"

On 29-Jul-2002 Chern Lee wrote:
> Might I add, to confirm some of the earlier mention.
>
> Murray and I had decided to standardize on CDROM back in September of 2001
> or so.

What does Sony call them?

Hmm, doing some research:

The "El Torito" boot standard for CD's uses CD-ROM.

From http://www.cdpage.com/Compact_Disc_Books/yellowbook.html it seems
apparent that Philips and Sony use "CD-ROM":

        If Red Book is the father of all CD formats, Yellow Book is the
        mother. Red Book is actually the basis for and an integral part
        of Yellow Book, which defines CD-ROM, or Compact Disc-Read Only
        Memory, announced by Philips and Sony in 1983. CD-ROM was
        envisioned as a way to allow digitized content including but not
        limited to audio to benefit from the capacity, durability, and
        economies of scale that were rapidly making compact disc audio a
        big success. Yellow Book is the disc specification that gave
        birth to all the variations on a CD theme that make CD formats
        so versatile and, equally, so confusing.

Given that the paper that _defines_ what a CD-ROM looks like uses CD-ROM,
I think that is pretty definitive. :)