Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:04:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

Jordan K. Hubbard once stated:

=> sysinstall writing out an entry into /boot/loader.conf :
=>
=> root_disk_unit="where i installed freebsd"
=
=Send diffs. I'm  not sure how to  figure this out from  sysinstall in a
=meaningful way, myself.

I upgraded my special someone's -stable from the summer's to Nov 1st and
the thing  does not boot.  What used to  be wd1 is  now wd2. I  tried to
change  the `config  kernel  root on  wd2'  -- did  not  seem to  affect
anything. Then I found root_disk_unit is the loader(8) and tried setting
it. Now  at the  boot time,  the kernel  says (correctly)  "switching to
wd2s1a" and  then hangs :(incorrectly); I  was booting with `-v',  so my
attempts to  Alt-Fk were  echoed on  the console,  but the  gettys never
satrted...

boot_askname did not have any effect (was it supposed to in the presence
of root_disk_unit?).

The  subject of  my attention  was  getting noticeably  irritated, so  I
switched to kernel.old, fixed the fstab  back to wd1 and booted... But I
could not investigate further for a sensible PR...

	-mi