Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 2014 09:11:48 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@ignoranthack.me>
To:        lev@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any chances to have FreeBSD on TP-Link TL-MR3420 v2 (white one)?

On Wed, 2014-07-09 at 20:04 +0400, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Sean.
> You wrote 9 ÉÀÌÑ 2014 Ç., 19:39:45:
>
> >>  $subj? Or is it too small for FreeBSD AP + DHCPD + 3G Modem driver?
> >>  Native firmware works not so well :(
>
> SB> Looking at what wikidevi says, there's a good chance that you can get it
> SB> working.
>
> SB> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-MR3420_v2
>
> SB> Its atheros mips, AR9341 which means it can likely be made to boot.
>
> SB> The 4M of flash however is super small, I haven't been able to squash a
> SB> kernel/ramdisk to that size. (worked on the mr3020 a bit, and had to
> SB> resort to a 4G usb disk for root).
>  USB disk for root looks Ok, I need it only as 3G <-> WiFi gateway, so USB
> is not used anyway.
>  With "native" firmware (the latest one) wifi is very unstable, it looks
> like "working" (clients are associated, but after 3-5 minutes no traffic
> pass till new disconnect/connect cycle).
>

> P.S. I've changed mailing list to embedded, as wireless was my mistake,
> actually.

If you can, try getting it to netboot using the wifi build scripts and
whatnot.  Its a bit of work, but rewarding.

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build

I had to bootstrap mine with a serial console and whatnot.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3020

Then I was able to build images and netboot with these configs.

http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/TP-MR3020
http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/TP-MR3020.hints

So, you'll want to mess around and try a different type.

sean