Date:      20 Apr 1998 15:42:14 +0100
From:      Simon Marlow <simonm@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/6353: How about upgrading from amd to am-utils?

Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com> writes:

>  In message <3513F83C.59E2B600@asme.org>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" writes:
>  > Hello;
>  > Are the new amd features available in the FreeBSD distribution? I'm sure
>  > someone in the freebsd-fs list would be interested in including them.
>  >
>  > cheers,
>  > 	Pedro.
>
>  AFAIK, freebsd is still distributed with the older amd which is probably a
>  variant of the one from 4.4bsd and upl102.  Other groups such as NetBSD and
>  Debian found out about am-utils and have included it in their official
>  distributions.  I was hoping that the FreeBSD folks would do the same.  If
>  someone on amd-dev is involved w/ the FreeBSD project, you may want to
>  inform someone that am-utils has MANY features useful for FreeBSD (and it
>  works on both 2.x and 3.x).
>
>  Erez.

I'll second that: I just tried am-utils on 2.2.6, and it fixes at
least one problem that I'd been having with mounting filesystems from
Linux boxes.

I could mount the filesystem manually with no problems, but when amd
mounted it I always got 'permission denied' when I tried to read any
files off it.  No idea at all why this happened, but it seems to be
fixed in am-utils.

Cheers,
	Simon

--