Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:52:37 +0100
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@anywi.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Productivity with FBSD, or: "portupgrade" vs. virus scans....

--nextPart2164923.5PqqqsMfBg

> Every once in a while (generally while upgrading ports/packages), I look
> over there and see our single Windows machine and think, "we never have
> to run `portupgrade` on that boxen... and I'm smart enough to avoid virii=
=2E"

You mean it does it automagically, making dual booting Windows XP a nightma=
re?=20
Whenever I need to run Windows quickly because of some app on my laptop I=20
spend half an hour waiting for the downloads of quicktime, acrobat,=20
openoffice, windows, java, etc. to complete and then have to reboot again.

Let alone when I am on the road using a UMTS/HSDPA card to connect to the=20
Internet ... Imagine the cost of those extra megabytes they force upon me.=
=20
Sure. I can switch it off in all the settings boxes, if I figure out what's=
=20
going on (without tcpdump/trafshow available).

On the FBSD side:
I update whenever I need a feature (like iwi driver updates). ports I upgra=
de=20
every 3 months or so, by doing a=20

	cvsup /usr/ports-supfile
	portupgrade -a --use-packages

on friday night, hoping it won't have killed and not restored KDE by monday=
=20
morning as I need to get work done at that point. Usually I spend a few hou=
rs=20
bending things into shape.

Yes, things are broken once in a while, which is annoying (Kontact has dele=
ted=20
all content from my PDA since last update), but at least I can read my mail=
=20
without being terrified of picking up a virus and ruining my day. And I=20
whenever I reinstall a machine from scratch, it takes me 4 hours to get a=20
machine completely back to the state it was in. Buy the same laptop again a=
nd=20
you have an up to date system, with all the (user) settings preserved. Try=
=20
that on Windows without spending a fun! $79.99 with a $5 value rebait!

Hey, and when KDE isn't working: there is still the console, with VIM synta=
x=20
highlighting, You should see the looks on the faces in first class in the=20
train... :-)

Nick