Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:53:16 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Erin - Lists <ef-lists@deadbbs.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 2.2.8-R to 4.0

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 03:11:50PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Erin - Lists wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking of trying to upgrade from 2.2.8 to 4.0.
>
> Make a good backup because I think if you search the archive, you will
> find this doesn't work. You couldn't, at one point, even upgrade from
> 2.2.8 to 3.4 in one step. You had to stop at 3.2 because of the a.out
> and elf problems and then upgrade to 3.4. The odds of making it to 4.0
> in one step are probably pretty small. I had problems trying to cvsup
> and source upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0 and ended up doing a clean install.
> The UPDATING message, in hindsight, now makes sense and someone else
> that had the same problems I did made it after a small conference.

Going from 2.2.8 to 4.0 is not a big problem if you do a binary
upgrade. As has been recently discussed on another FreeBSD list, use
sysinstall to install the minimal binary distribution of
4.0-RELEASE. Then do a make world for the 4.x-STABLE source. Be sure
to add the COMPAT22 option in make.conf.

> > My only consearn is if the passwords in the master.passwd
> > would need to be redone or if they are compatible. Is
> > there a seed file for the encryption I would need to move
> > over?

There will be no password issues. There _will_ be wtmp issues,
however.