Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:02:35 -0600
From:      "Damon M. Conway" <damon@chiba.3jane.net>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        james.wilde@telia.com (James A Wilde), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

 Jerry Dunham wrote:
>James A Wilde babbled:
>> From: "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
>> To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
>
>> Two quickies:
>>
>> 1) Thanks to all who have helped with a) suggestions about ee, which
>> I'll try, and b) hints on some other useful commands I can use in vi.
>> My competence in vi has doubled overnight!
>
>And it wouldn't take much to double it yet again.  Somewhere around here
>I have a vi cheatsheet that I could send along if you'd find it useful.

i've learned almost everything i know about vi from the man page and
vim.org. :)

>> 2) Sorry that my messages have had no eol breaks in them.  For email
>> I mostly live in the sheltered world of Windows which takes care of
>> that kind of thing for you.  I will try and make sure I put in CRLF
>> at appropriate places in messages to this - and other UNIX - mailing
>> lists to which I subscribe.
>
>I disagree with your view that Windows takes care of that kind of thing
>for you.  I spend hours every day in Microsoft Outlook, and I can tell
>you with conviction that Windows mailers that I know (cc:Mail, Outlook,
>and Netscape) take care of screwing up that kind of thing for you.
>They do such a good job that it's nearly impossible to send a message
>that arrives unmutilated at a destination using a mailer other than the
>one you used to create the message.  Outlook messages only look good to
>other Outlook users; cc:Mail messages only look good to other cc:Mail
>users (and then not always).  At least most UNIX mailers allow you to
>send out properly formatted messages if you set them up right.

windoze sucks for everything except playing games.  i'd recommend using vim
and putting "set textwidth=75" in your $HOME/.vimrc to make sure your email
text is always 75 columns with breaks on word boundaries.  i can send you
my .vimrc file if you want.

>> And I don't really think vi is crap.  It's just that the only thing
>> less intuitive in its natural state than vi is probably emacs. <ducks
>> and moves out of the war zone> <grin>.
>
>As a heavy (and even heavier after tomorrow's turkey) vi user, I agree
>with you.

mmm...turkey *drool*

damon

--
Damon Conway
Black Rock City Ranger...Riding the edge of chaos