Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 09:44:29 -0700
From:      mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking the lkm DISPATCH macro

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> That brings up a very good point, which is that we need to start
> thinking about contacting vendors when we do stuff which will cause
> their stuff to break.  I realize that everyone can't keep track of
> every single commercial product available for FreeBSD (not that it's
> exactly *hard* right now though :) and its dependencies, so all I'm
> asking is that if a user (like Doug here) raises an advance concern or
> we start getting bug reports from our early BETA customers WRT some
> commercial product, that should raise a *really big red flag* with us.

Jordan:

Does FreeBSD have a "registry" for commercial vendors?  Some way that
you can broadcast or post announcements on specific changes/potential
changes that they can test and plan for for the next release?  As you
siad, there may well be a time that some "Killer App" may be so
important to users that development might have to consider it's
viability BEFORE changes are made.

I realize that vendors have a responsibility, but as long as their aware
of the changes (whether compatibility is guaranteed or not) then we can
all work better together.