Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2022 02:38:58 +0200
From:      Gordon Bergling <gbe@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching from sendmail to Dragonfly Mail Agent by default

--fAvhd0C8m5L0ZNXE

Hi Bapt,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 03:05:33PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>=20
> As of today, on a default FreeBSD setup, a mailer agent is configured in =
order
> to be able to distribute locally emails (from crontab for example) and/or=
 for
> relaying those emails. This role has been served by a stripped down versi=
on of
> sendmail up to now. By stripped down, I mean it is built without the supp=
ort
> for feature that would make it a full featured MTA, like no support for l=
dap.
>=20
> Long time ago we have imported Dragonfly Mail Agent, a minimalistic MTA b=
orn
> within the Dragonfly Project, covering exactly those needs and only those.
>=20
> It has matured slowly over the time and we believe we have addressed all =
the
> major issues reported preventing it from being the default.
>=20
> For FreeBSD 14 we would like to activate it by default.
>=20
> It means:
> - install by default mailer.conf from dma (and install the one from sendm=
ail
>   in /usr/share/example/sendmail)
> - activate sendmail_enable=3DNONE by default in /etc/default/rc.conf
> - make mailwrappe fallback on dma.
>=20
> If noone brings an obvious blocker, this change will happen in the next c=
ouple
> of weeks!

In general +1. I personaly use msmtp for mail delivery since I don't want to
mess with a full MTA configuration. If we enable DMA by default, we also sh=
ould
update the existing documentation. I recently discovered that following rc.=
conf
values are needed for local delivery of status e-mails from rc-scripts.
sendmail_submit_enable=3D"YES"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable=3D"YES"

But since we have DMA already in base, the switch would be more then welcom=
e,
to move to a BSD-licsended, simple to use solution.

--Gordon

--fAvhd0C8m5L0ZNXE

--fAvhd0C8m5L0ZNXE--