Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/20130: Entities missing from doc/share/sgml/man-refs.ent

The following reply was made to PR docs/20130; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To: Jim Mock <jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:43:46 +0200

 Jim,
 > I think the major reason for this is that
 > a) stuff that's needed can be added when a document is written, and

 right now, only a few people use the FDP toolchain and the "one entity
 at a time" policy seems to work. The reason for the tools behind the
 patch was the following cycle:

 1) I want to/have to use &man.foo.x;
 2) Switch to another window, check man-refs.ent
 3) Swear, go to the start of the document, copy&paste a definition and
    add the entity I need

 or

 1) "I'm sure I can use &man.foo.x;"
 2) make
 3) "jade... general entity man.foo.x not defined...
 4) open document, add the definition, go to step 2

 It's extremly frustrating (not to mention a waste of time) that almost
 every use of &man.foo.x causes a loop through one of this cycles. Ok,
 that's the price for going where nobody has gone before (writing a
 PPPoE-HOWTO).

 But that's only the first step. I've finished my document and I have
 a couple entity definitions in it. That's just a bandaid, so I'll
 have to write a PR, somebody has to read it, add the entities and
 commit the changes.

 I get the "entities added, thanks" mail and run cvsup to get the new
 man-refs.ent. But I can't remove my entity definitions unless I
 replace them with a <!-- needs man-refs.ent v3.14 or higher -->.

 The current system (add when needed) works because almost all of the
 .sgml-files are either documents for the FreeBSD Documentation Project or
 translations of them; and they update their /usr/doc-trees regularily.

 If people start to use the tools outside this context, this system
 will break.

 > b) it keeps the file size down.

 200 KByte are a small price to remove the problems outlined above. I
 was afraid that the build times would explode. Fortunately, that's
 not the case.

 > If we add entities for every single man page, chances are, we'll never
 > use at least half of them, so it's kind of overkill to have a huge,
 > bloated man-refs.ent file when it's not necessary.

 Hmm, using
 s/man page/command/
 s/entities/man pages/
 s/man-refs.ent/\/usr\/share\/man/

 on your statement gives:

 "If we add man pages for every single command, chances are, we'll never
 use at least half of them, so it's kind of overkill to have a huge,
 bloated /usr/share/man file when it's not necessary."

 A similiar argument could be used against 90% of the ports, the files
 and directories in /usr/share/locale and most of the translation projects.
 All three exist for a good reason.

 /s/Udo
 --
 Der Einsatz von M$-Mailsystemen ist sehr erfolgreich, aber leider vor allem
 bei der Verbreitung von Viren wie Melissa, Papa oder explore.zip. Dies ist