Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 08:53:59 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: window manager question

On Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:53:48 GMT, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> hmmm.. i thought 'toor' should have a home account for maintenance
> activities, right?  Or wrong?  That's where i leave my scripts for cvsup
> and kernel compiling.  I thought the idea was to use root only for
> emergencies, and minimizing the number of writes to the root partition.

This is UNIX, there isn't a difference between emergencies and
maintenance. :-)

Where'd you pick up this use of toor, though?  Perhaps you know
something I don't.  Ages ago, I picked up from my guru that toor is
simply a username that you use to log in as root but with a Bourne /
Bourne Again shell.

Think about it.  Some programs are interested in your username, and will
figure everything out from that.  But some programs are interested in
your UID and work from that.  What will the latter class of program do
when it encounters UID 0 and needs to find the home directory?

Get the picture? :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.