Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2018 10:16:52 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Checking bhyve supported features (sysctls)

Hello,

I'm looking for better ways to check for bhyve support / available features=
 without trying to scan through dmesg output.

I notice that the following 2 sysctl's appear to be set to 1 as soon as the=
 vmm module is loaded

hw.vmm.vmx.initialized: 1
hw.vmm.vmx.cap.unrestricted_guest: 1

Will these be available on both Intel & AMD processors as a way to determin=
e if the module has loaded successfully and can run guests?

I also see the below sysctl related to iommu.

hw.vmm.iommu.initialized

Again, will this be set to 1 as soon as the module is loaded if iommu is su=
pported, or only when it is used?
There also seems to be a vmm.amdvi.enable sysctl. Would both these need che=
cking or is vmm.iommu enough to determine support on any processor.

Matt