Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:04:08 -0700
From:      "Rick Moore" <rick@geckobot.com>
To:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Mircosoft doesn't sleep

Hi!

I've been following this mailing list for years as I struggle to build my
own company which uses server-side Java extensively.  Recently I've come to
the realization that FreeBSD, which is marketing itself as more of a server
platform, is in big trouble without a binary Java 2 implementation.  In
fact, I've tried Linux repeatedly for this very reason but it always falls
short of FreeBSD in other ways.

From my possibly-biased perspective, server-side technology appears to be
coalescing into three camps: Microsoft, J2EE, and everything else.  Without
solid Java 2 (ie stable, binary, and native), it seemed that FreeBSD could
lose the server-side Java camp.  I don't mean to diminish all the great work
you folks have been doing-- under the circumstances you've done a hell of a
job, but Free BSD Java 2 just is not in a state that would be acceptable to
most companies.

This article changes everything, though.  I am absolutely floored that it
looks like FreeBSD will serve as a platform for the Microsoft camp.

This could be really good for FreeBSD in many respects.  Like it or not,
Microsoft and commercial software still have a huge influence.  The
attention they will divert to FreeBSD could help bridge the growing gap
between FreeBSD and Linux.  Most obviously, FreeBSD will be able to support
one of the major server side camps and affirm its position as a server
platform.  Also, Microsoft compiler technology tends to be very good
although Intel has helped gcc to some degree.

It could also be bad for FreeBSD.  Typically the open-source community has
been (shall we say) a bit anti-Microsoft.  Microsoft is making it look like
they are FreeBSD's best friend.  At the risk of sounding like a high-school
teenager: yikes, what's this going to do to our image?  I have to hand it to
Microsoft, though: they recognized a golden opportunity and grabbed it.

It's hard to say how Sun will react.  They might see this as an intrusion
into their UNIX domain and get serious about FreeBSD Java.  ...or they could
see FreeBSD as a casualty or a lost cause.

It's laughable that Microsoft will probably use a bunch of "viral" GPL tools
to port their code, though.  Also, I have to wonder how all the folks used
to working on Microsoft platforms would feel about using FreeBSD.  Most of
the Microsoft fans I know aren't fond of UNIX-- without them Microsoft's
efforts could turn into a dud.  Microsoft has a way of jumping out of things
as fast as it jumps into them.

My 2 cents-- thanks for listening.  Keep up the excellent work on your Java
porting efforts!

Rick