Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 21:00:05 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog

Let me try again...

On 30 May 2005 at 19:12, Jonathan Noack wrote:

> On 05/30/05 18:12, Dan Langille wrote:
> > I'm getting this error:
> >
> > Error
> >
> > Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog on
> > "/usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/configuration//vhosts.
> > co nf.sample,v,
> > /usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/configuration//.cvsigno
> > re ,v".
> >
> > Did you set the $command_path in your configuration file correctly ?
> > (Currently "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin"
> >
> > If I run rlog on the above mentioned files, I get expected results.
> >
> > I'm running 4.11-stable, Apache 1.3.33, cvsweb-2.0.6_2, and perl
> > 5.8.6
> >
> > This entry <http://tinyurl.com/csttm>; from the archives indicates
> > this is not a new problem, but also that it should be fixed
> > "shortly".
> >
> > Clues please?
>
> Historically this has been a problem with CVSweb 2.0.x and Perl 5.8's
> stricter taint checks, but the -T flag was removed as of 2.0.6_1 and
> there have been no reports of this problem since July 2004.  When you
> run rlog manually, are you running it as the same user that runs
> CVSweb (and most likely Apache)?

No, I ran it as myself.  To run it as www (this time, with a different command):

$ sudo -u www rlog /usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/
configuration//vhosts.conf.sample,v /usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/configuration//.
cvsignore,v

RCS file: /usr/websites/develop.example.org/repository/configuration//vhosts.conf.sample,v
Working file: vhosts.conf.sample
head: 1.8
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
        beta: 1.1.1.1
        devel: 1.1.1
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 9;     selected

Interesting... [still]

> Any chance you can try devel/cvsweb3 and see if you have the same
> problem?

I tried.  Similar problem: Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog .... (the
above and previous attempt was with cvsweb3.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/