Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:24:13 -0600
From:      "Wilde, Donald" <dwilde@sandia.gov>
To:        "Mihir Sanghavi" <mihir.sanghavi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Where to start from

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Mike Jakubik
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:26 PM
To: Mihir Sanghavi
Cc: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

Mihir Sanghavi wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have installed FreeBSD 5.5 . My computer is still not hooked to
the=20
> > network. I would like to start working on it. what should I start
with=20
> > as I have never worked with BSD before. are there any good tutorials

> > to start with?
> > Thanks

> Start again, this time install FreeBSD 6.1 instead. Then proceed to
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html .
=20
DSW> A number of us suggested that he start conservatively, Mike, based
on what his needs would be. I wrote him a long e-mail that discussed the
pros and cons of each RELEASE stream, and he's made his choice. Since
you yourself are having some heartburn with RELENG_6, perhaps you can
sympathize with someone who doesn't need the grief while trying to
learn? ;-]

Mihir, the Handbook is also resident on your computer in=20

	/usr/share/doc/(en|your language)/books/handbook

I suggest that you read everything in books and articles first (assuming
you've loaded the package or port for a web browser like Mozilla or
Firefox), then type 'man man' at a prompt. More precise finger-pointing
will have to follow more detail as to your desired usage, but let me
suggest that freebsd-questions would be more appropriate for such
discussions. This list is for technical discussions related to ongoing
bugfixing and upgrades to the system.

Another good resource is http://www.daemonnews.org, and the online forum
there is also a good place to ask for suggestions.

--
Don Wilde    Org 01737    505-844-1126
Earth Halted: Please reboot to continue