Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:16:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA/ATAPI driver(s) for 4.6-R {Stable}

Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
 > Is it safe to say the Maxtor DiamondMax 540X ATA/133 4G160J8 (160GB) and
 > 4G120J6 (120GB) hard drives work fine under FreeBSD 4.6-stable??

Yes, I would say so.  I have one of those in my fileserver
at home for a few months.  It's the only disk in that box
(to save power and reduce heat & noise, as that box is
running 24h/day), so it's carrying the system -- including
/usr/src and /usr/obj -- as well as a large collection of
multimedia data which is NFS-exported.  No problems ever.
The machine is running FreeBSD 4.6 and updated regularly.

 > The PCI host bus adapter I was looking into is the Maxtor K01PCAT133. It can
 > hold up to four drives so I spec'd it at (160GBx4(-overhead)) per adapter.

Hmm.  When I bought the Maxtor 160Gb disk, it was a bundle
together with a UDMA-133 controller which is labelled
"Maxtor", but actually it is a Promise TX2 Ultra-ATA-133.
It has two ATA channels, thus up to four devices.

Maybe that's the same as that K01PCAT133?  AFAIK, Maxtor
doesn't make adapters themselves, but they use OEM products
from others (like the TX2/133 from Promise).

 > Just was casting out if there was other people with their own proven RAID
 > solutions that has worked reliably for them (speedwise as well, minus the
 > data corruption).

Actually, I wouldn't say "ATA" and "reliable" in the same
sentence.  If it just wasn't that damn cheap, compared to
SCSI ...  :-(

 > P.S. Too bad many articles (like Moeshe Bar) are not updated to reflect
 > Linux 2.2.21/2.4.18, Solaris 9, and FreeBSD 4.6. So many changes have gone
 > on during most of these articles. Hope to see more accurate and updated
 > articles by people who know what they are doing. ;o>

Yes, such articles are outdated quite fast.  That's a big
problem, because people remember the facts for a longer
time than they're valid, which leads to wrong assumptions
about the "other" operating systems.

Oh by the way, when asked why BSD is better than Linux,
there's always a *very* convincing answer:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcone/bsdversuslinux.html

It's got nothing to do with RAID or filesystems, though.
:-)

Regards
   Oliver