Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:32:00 +1100 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
To:        lierly@mauigateway.com (Nathanael Lierly)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rsync

| Aloha all,
|
| I am trying to get rsync working to move files to a remote rsync --daemon
| server. Does anyone out there have working examples so I can get an idea
| why I see what looks like files transfering and then find none have been
| updated. Sorry for the strange question on -isp.

My guess would have been you have the -n flag (dryrun) in the command line.
Can't show you any examples as we tend to use it in its default mode over
ssh where it logs in to the remote and starts the receiver process itself.

Its not an extended option where you've used '-' instead of '--' is it?
Another common failing is when the remote process has no write permission
on the destination. Often this manifests as files being reported as copied
but the target never being updated (finding the error reports from the remote
end can be tricky sometimes). One sign of this is often that re-running the
command results in the same file list being reported again, although I
presume this to be the case anytime the update of remote files fails.

Enno.