Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:26:29 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@atg.aciworldwide.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NO_AWK

> Is bawk a BSD licensed version of awk?  What about replacing gawk with
> bawk?  Any drawbacks?

It's the One True AWK, ala Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan. See
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/awkbook/index.html for details.

The license seems compatible (enough) with the BSD license:

   Copyright (C) Lucent Technologies 1997
   All Rights Reserved

   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
   its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
   granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
   copies and that both that the copyright notice and this
   permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting
   documentation, and that the name Lucent Technologies or any of
   its entities not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining
   to distribution of the software without specific, written prior
   permission.

   LUCENT DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
   INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS.
   IN NO EVENT SHALL LUCENT OR ANY OF ITS ENTITIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY
   SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
   WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER
   IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
   ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF
   THIS SOFTWARE.

I would certainly prefer to see the reference implementation in
the base system. And bugs reported to the authors do appear to
get fixed.

--lyndon

>What about all the people who hoarded tonnes of spam in their bunkers?

I hoard spam on my hard drive.  When I heard about the coming
Y2K worries, I downloaded a lifetime supply from the net.
			-- Charlie Gibbs in alt.folklore.computers