Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:53:41 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        'Petri Helenius ' <pete@he.iki.fi>, Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>, "'Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net '" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ENOBUFS

From: Petri Helenius

>> Clearly I will have some tuning ahead, and likely I will not =
succeed,
>> but for sure my 1U XEON with 6 gigabit nics will work very hard
>> for its living :)
>>
>Which NICs seem to work best here? I=B4ve been playing more with em
>and it seems that the time spent in interrupts is quite high, I=B4m =
seeing
>15-17% for 300Mbps on 2.4 Xeon. This number seems to stay the same
>whether I=B4m running UP or SMP kernel with 4.7-STABLE.
>
>Does "giant" in 4.X SMP context mean that the other CPU is idling =
while
>the other is either servicing interrupts or running kernel code?
>
>What would be the best course of action to implement optimizations
>possible with later chips like 82546 to the em driver? Talk to Intel?

Well, I'm definitely finding that I have more CPU free when using
the broadcom BCM570X NIC (bge) than the Intel 8254X NIC (em).

http://www.etestinglabs.com/main/reports/broadcom.asp
http://www.etestinglabs.com/main/reports/3com.asp
has a benchmark of the broadcom versus the intel. This is on
a win2k platform. These benchmarks were paid for by broadcom,=20
so take them with a grain of salt.

As for tuning the driver for either chip, you will need an NDA
to get the documentation.

--don (don@sandvine.com www.sandvine.com)