Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:31:41 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assessing Search Engine Issues

> Does the webserver have a database engine running on it?  Does the
> webserver have PHP?  Will it?  Can it?

No.  No.  Maybe. :)

The reason it doesn't run it is fairly simple - the mirrors.  If you
raise the configuration bar for www.freebsd.org, you end up raising it
for *all* the www[.xx].freebsd.org and secondary sites and that means
getting all the admins involved to even agree to run PHP and some
database engine, etc.

Since that's also been a historical impediment to progress, what needs
to happen, and in fact has happened, is for the content requiring such
backing support to live on a centrally administered server (or
servers) other than www.freebsd.org and simply be referenced from
there.  Local mirrors are cool, but they can't be expected to cache
all possible content and there have *always* been links to other
non-mirrored sites in our documentation anyway.

What am I saying?  I'm saying "search.freebsd.org, I think your time
has come!  Any ISPs out there willing to donate the machine/IP
resources?"

- Jordan