Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/21209: scsi ncr driver installs instead of scsi sym driver: system halts

The following reply was made to PR kern/21209; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To: bsimpson@mediaone.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: kern/21209: scsi ncr driver installs instead of scsi sym driver:
 system halts
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:17:17 +0200 (CEST)

 I just looked into the problem, as promised.

 `ncr' 1.155.2.1 has been partially new-bussified (only bus resources and
 bus space has been addressed, but not bus-dma).

 This driver version has already been reported to make problem by PR/20689.
 This PR has been assigned to me. Why not ? But I am not the author of the
 changes in `ncr' 1.155.2.1. I planned to have a look at this PR, but
 haven't had found time yet. I may have missed the problem, since I haven't
 `ncr' configured in my various kernel configurations.

 The only immediate change that can fix should be to remove `ncr' from
 the kernel configuration used for the snap-shot (could be GENERIC or
 something close to this config ? )

 However, machines that donnot work with PCI parity checking (misc/17584)
 and using early SYMBIOS chips may experience problems with `sym' driver
 version in RELENG_4. Latest `sym' should work-around this but it hasn't
 been MFCed yet.
 If somebody, may-be the author of latest changes in `ncr' has time to fix
 the problem in latest `ncr' for RELENG_4, this will be better, IMO.

 4.0-RELEASE started with `ncr' for 810 non-A, 815 and 825 non-A chips.
 `sym' didn't support these devices yet at 4.0 time, and the `ncr' was
 working for most users, it seemed.

 In my opinion, the new-bussification of _stable_ `ncr' in RELENG_4 as
 _stable_ branch was not appropriate, but I may have missed the actual
 reason for that. For now, the result is:

 - `ncr' in -stable is broken
 - `ncr' in -stable takes precedence over `sym' for everything except
    SYM53C1010 that is only supported by `sym'.

 And I can only suggest to remove `ncr' from GENERIC, as an immediate
 possible fix. :-(

   Gerard.