Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:54:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        Dan Swartzendruber <druber@kersur.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID solutions?

> Okay, as the person who started this: I still have the concern that if I
> throw 20+ drives on the system, will FreeBSD be able to cope with a large
> number of drives like this?

Like I said, I have 20 disks spread over 4 controllers.  Running
3.0-CURRENT, so with CAM.  The only caveat I encountered was that boot.flp
doesn't have enough inodes free to create all /dev entries on the ram
disk, so I had to do the initial install with two of the three external
SCSI casings disconnected from their respective controllers.

(Jordan is aware of the problem, but I agree with him that it's not a
 situation many people will find themselves in.  It'll probably be fixed
 at the same time when the GENERIC kernel exceeds one floppy...)

'dmesg' output is longish, with all the softupdates filesystem messages
it's almost large enough to wrap the ring buffer.

	-- Niels.