Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:56:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs question

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Secondus	There is supposedly a "magic" revision ID that you
> 		can use on a local branch point that CVSUP won't
> 		touch.  I've been told "1000" and "1001" and various
> 		other values, but I haven't seen a way for it to
> 		actually work.

  Not quite.  There is an enviroment variable you can set with a revision
number.  "1000" is recommended, but it is unlikely anything else is using
a number that high.  Any changes you check it, get this revision number.
Can't remember, the environment variable to use...

  This method is still pretty rough.  AFAIK, you still have to checkout
your local changes after checking out the main branch.

  For the tiny changes I required, just using cvsup in check out mode, and
maintaining a patch kit which I just re-apply after cvsup'ing saved a
lot of time, and a lot of storage.  I just can't build my own release.

Tom