Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2002 15:04:29 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Modem Support

On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 11:58:16 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> > Any external modem will work with FBSD on com1 or com2.
>>
>> I have a cheap external modem that appears to be a win modem.
>> I've never been able to use it with anything other than windows.
>> In case anyone wants to avoid it, the manufacturer has dubbed
>> it the Elsa model (maybe because it uses a serial lion? Or maybe
>> because it works only with Windows, and is therefore Bourne free?).
>> Before buying an external modem, you should check to see what
>> systems it is compatible with, just as you do with internal modems.
>
>There is no way a serial (COM) port connected modem can be a
>WinModem.  The only way an external modem could be a WinModem is if
>it's a USB modem. It is always possible that it does not use the
>"standard" Hayes AT command set, but, if you have or can get the
>command set, it will still work with FreeBSD.
>
>I can't imagine any modem less than 5 years old that does not use AT
>commands, so I suspect some other problem, line a connection to a
>non-functional port or not having BIOS configured properly.
>
>Does another modem work on this port? Does the port probe properly?
>(Check dmesg for sio0 (COM1) and sio1 (COM2). They should probe as a
>16550 or 16550A. If they probe as an 8250, they are most likely not
>working as no reasonably modern system will have an 8250 UART. (It
>turns out that the driver test for modem type gets no response from an
>8250, so 8250 really means "no response".)

It is a possibility.  the modem might act like something similar to
digital camera or have it's own set of windows jibberish.

however, i can confirm that i have used an external Windows RPI modem.
you had to load the special drivers or you wouldnt get compression or
error correction.

go figure

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB