Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:15:59 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Multihoming alternatives

Actually, you can fit 3 full route tables (~112k routes each) into
128MB, I've done it.  No guarantees on router performance though.
Currently, I'm taking 3 views on a 7206 w/512mb.  For 2 full views, I'd
probably recommend a minimum of 192mb.

> On the other hand, as an end-user organization, you only need
> to worry
> about prefered routes via one link or the other for networks
> which (a) you
> care about, and (b) see a significant difference in
> reachability via one
> provider versus the other.  So the OP could get away with using Cisco
> 1xxx-grade routers with only 32 MB on his side.

Right.  In this scenerio, you could actually get away without taking
/any/ routes from your upstream providers.  Just use 2 default routes
for your outbound traffic and BGP to announce your own space, which
takes care of your inbound traffic.  You could do this on even an old
2501.

As for a /24 not being routable, I agree that it can cause problems, but
in 5 years of doing it, I've not run into any yet.  I have 4 /24 and 2
/23 networks assigned to me by Sprint.  I announce these to all 3 of my
providers (Sprint, AT&T, and UUNut).  I've yet to receive a complaint of
an unreachable network due to some under-funded idiot having filters on
announcements smaller than a /20.  I assume the reason for that, is
becaue said idiot had at least enough sense to leave default route
entries in place.

This is a moot point anyways, as I'll bet you couldn't name me one
person who will guarantee any network of any size to be globally
routable, as there is no single entity that controls routing policies on
all 25k+ autonomous systems on the 'net.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks