Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2011 20:22:06 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade contributed gperf, m4 and flex

--CUfgB8w4ZwR/yMy5

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 11:16:33PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 08:01:37PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > and last: upgrade flex to the latest upstream version (it will need the=
 m4
> > upgrade) while here I'll move back flex to contrib/
> > patches can be found there:=20
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/flex-update.diff
>=20
> Hi Baptiste,
> I cannot tell from this what you are really doing.
>=20
> It would likely be best to keep the old history, so that would involve
> a 'svn move usr.bin/lex contrib/flex'.
>=20
> Additionally if flex is now considered to be 3rd-party code (signified by
> living in contrib/) it should be imported we into '$REPO/base/vendor'.
>=20
> These actions would give a different diff than that above.
>=20
> Do you have a diff that shows what the real changes to FreeBSD are?

There are about no changes to FreeBSD, all the changes that were added in o=
ur
tree in the old version found their way into the upstream version I have two
warning fixes, one in the generated code, and on the the flex code itself, =
I'm
planning to push them upstream. concerning the push into contrib, it was ju=
st to
try to do things the same way other contributed code are in our tree, maybe=
should just let it into the usr.bin/lex, I have no real opinion on this, I
thought it would have been cleaner living in contrib.
>=20
>=20
> > I also plan to upgrade m4 syncing code from openbsd, taking code from n=
etbsd
> > (improve gnu m4 compatibility).
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/update_m4_from_openbsd_and_netbsd.diff
>=20
> We don't seen to have '$REPO/base/vendor/OpenBSD/m4' as we likely should.
> How different is our usr.bin/m4 from OpenBSD's?

I didn't create a directory in vendor as our version is already from openbsd
without the vendor entry, and lots of code like this one (ie from other bsd=
) do
not have their entry in vendor, for example makefs and no one asked me to p=
ush
it into vendor/NetBSD at that time, once again if this the right way to do,=
 I'll
create the OpenBSD/m4.

Concerning the difference with the OpenBSD version this is only cosmetics a=
nd
warning fixes: function declared in a old fashion way, and small things like
that, also took some fixes and way to build it from NetBSD (importing ohash
which they took from OpenBSD).
>=20
>=20
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/upgrade-gperf-to-3.0.3.diff
>=20
> I assume an import into '$REPO/base/vendor/gperf/' will happen first?
> ['$REPO/base/vendor/gperf/' needs to be "flattend out" first]
I missed that one, I'll fix it as soon as possible.

> thanks,

Thanks for feedback.

regards,
Bapt