Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:07:48 -0500
From:      Rick Morel <rmorel@morelr.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and NT

I was an owner of aisp.net (we sold out July 1) and am still Sys Admin. I
Admin morelr.com and kxkc.com. All in all, there are 7 NT Servers, 2 with
3.51 and the rest with 4.0. There used to be 8, but I recently installed
FreeBSD and INN for news at aisp (Don't even ask about NT and Netmanage for
news!!!!!).

Oh, my own computer is running NT 4.0. I do prefer it over Win 95. FreeBSD,
or any UNIX, to me is the pits for a workstation, but unbeatable for a
server. Here at morelr I've switched everything to FreeBSD except FTP
(that's going to be done tomorrow, thanks to the folks here) :-) and DNS
(DNS will be next). The only thing I'm going to keep on NT is a www server
strictly for VB CGI's.

I'm pretty new to UNIX, and seem to be going against the trend -- NT to UNIX
instead of the other way around. I really can't understand a lot of folks
switching from it to NT _FOR_AN_INTERNET_SERVER_. I have nothing against MS
except that more and more lately, the massive amount of *NEW* things have
been getting buggier and buggier... Pardon, me... there's all kinds of "new
features" (that's what I meant earlier with my "Twilight Zone" remark.

All that said, my experience is that a heavily worked NT server doesn't seem
to go more than a week without developing sloooooow down and other problems.

At aisp, the dial-in server will start giving users odd errors after about 8
days, refusing to let them in. It gets worse and worse if left alone. A
re-boot and all is nice. For about 8 days. The combo www and email server
will start sloooowing down after about 6 days. Again, re-boot and all is
well. The kxkc.com server (www, email and ftp) will go about 2 to 3 weeks or
even longer with no problems -- it's not used nearly as much. Then the
oddities start. Slow downs then okay, then slow, then okay, etc. Slow email
or odd email errors, such as locked mailboxes for _some_ users or just
timeouts, again for _some_ users; plus things like "locked" html files.

So, I think everyone in the debate here is correct. It just depends. Now,
for the "runs forever" group -- We have one, version 3.51. It runs a
RealAudio server, very little used, and otherwise is used to check RAS, add
users and email admin, via www, very heavily used. Sometimes the person that
does all this has several User Managers and RAS Admins and even Netscapes
all open and minimized. For days. I've _NEVER_ had to re-boot this machine.

Oh, for the curious. The news server. It never really worked right. It
required daily re-boots, then more often. I'd reinstall NT and Netmanage
News. It'd run for maybe a month with only daily reboots, then back to its
old tricks. When it finally got down to not running more than several
minutes at a stretch, I finally insisted and put FreeBSD / INN. It's
sooooooo niiiiicccceeee :-) :-)

Rick