Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 08:44:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, andrew@pubnix.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: News provider feeback

> > I've heard it works fine, particularly if you offload the serial port
> > onto a different box :-)
>
> Why?  It give the cpu something to do while it's waiting on the disk :-)

Maybe because I am paranoid and I like to be able to spool things when the
news server is having problems...  ;-)

> > However there is the bandwidth issue, as always..
>
> They're supposedly going to a 115Kbps system in September, last I heard.

I think they did that long ago.  Still, I would think that at some point,
it will necessarily crap out in terms of available bandwidth (I don't
suppose they are doing alt.binaries.* even now), and they will either have
to switch to some faster serial link (and specialized hardware, or maybe
Ethernet which would be cool) or it will just become nonviable.

... JG