Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:00:58 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion about script to update /etc, etc.

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 11:42:43PM -0800, Studded wrote:
> One of the things that has been often requested is a method of
> automatically updating the files installed by /usr/src/etc/Makefile for
> the user. I have developed the following system based in part on the one
> in Nik Clayton's make world tutorial.
> http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

It is still easier to do this correctly if you base yourself on having
a pristine version of the initial etc files available, and use 'merge'
to do the actual merge.

This can be extracted from the CVS repository, but the users that have
that available probably isn't the primary target (except if they have
the CD-ROM, of course... :-)

Jordan - what's the chance of automatically getting a pristine copy of
the /etc directory stored along the actual one, for later upgrades?
Just making sysinstall copy all files in /etc into /etc/pristine on
initial install should make good upgrades much easier...

Eivind.