Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:02:30 +0900
From:      Hirohito Higuchi <hirohito@msi.biglobe.ne.jp>
To:        blind-copy-recipients:;
Subject:   Bcc: Why Broken_elf?

To: freebsd-questions-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Why Broken_elf?
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:02:25 +0900
From: Hirohito Higuchi <hirohito@msi.biglobe.ne.jp>

Greeting
 My name is H.Higuchi.
 I am wondering if you can answer or show links of InterNet about:

 Why were many ports of FreeBSD listed as "BROKEN_ELF" before 3.0R was
released?

 I know that the file type changed to ELF from a.out in FreeBSD-3.0R or
-current.
 But  there is no reason for many ports to become BREOKEN_ELF,for me.
Because this change is only about file type, not like compiling or writing
programs, I think.

 so, is there anything different between writing programs in ELF format and
in a.out?

Probabily ,almost all ports can already be executed under ELF format now,
 But I am so curious.

Thanks
H.Higuchi <hirohtio@msi.biglobe.ne.jp>
PS.
 if other people asked such kind of thing, I am really sorry,
But I couldn't find in search Web page <www.freebsd.org>