Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 01:20:11 -0400
From:      "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
To:        Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN

In message <Pine.3.89.9607132250.A239-0100000@zoo.toronto.edu>you write:
>> ...Modems seem to have like a 2-4 Kbyte FIFO, even
>> inexpensive ones, made back in the mid 80's.  Why, except for poor design,
>> weren't they at least an option on the computer side. (1 byte was normal, 16
>> was "buffered")
>
>The modems weren't single-chip devices.  They were a boardful of
>electronics, typically including at least one microprocessor.  (At one
>point, the modem I was using had considerably more computing power than
>the computer it was connected to.)  In fact there was no actual FIFO on
>them -- the microprocessor had a few KB of RAM, and used that for data
>buffering among other things.

Its weird that sufficient buffering was available on the modems (though
it took more boardspace possibly.  I doubt it would in todays technology).
Yet only 1 byte (or up to 16 was available on buffered boards.

>> I'm also confused as to why building FIFO's is difficult or complicated.
>> I remember we built one as a project in my first hardware course back in
>> 1982-1983 and nobody found it hard (it was a beginning minor project nobody
>> seemed to have problems with.
>
>It's easy enough to do, but doing it on a chip does eat a fair bit of space.

I've looked at circuit boards of that time and the space was definately
available, especially on 4 port-16 port boards.

>> >Only when you start running a real operating system (or a kludged imitation
>> >thereof :-)) do you start to care about buffering.
>>
>> True, but even machines like Sun Sparc 2's or IBM RT's which only ran Unix
>> had small FIFO's.  And they only ran Unix.
>
>However, if you look inside them you will usually find that their serial-I/O
>chips are off-the-shelf commercial designs built for other markets.
>
>                                                           Henry Spencer
>                                                       henry@zoo.toronto.edu
I did and your're correct.  But why when both had extra space on them?

Well, I guess hindsight is 20/20. *sigh*

Thanks for the information.

Sincerely, Jacob