Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 05:48:23 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
Cc:        The Devil Himself <fullermd@narcissus.ml.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Better late than never...  The FreeBSD News!

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Something you should say in the Linux vs. FreeBSD is the way that the two
> systems are implemented, ie there isn't "The Linux Distribution" unlike
> FreeBSD, in Linux ideas flow much more freely and .. well .. I've seen
> some cool ideas implemented by ugly code. :)

	From my work on the PostgreSQL stuff, porting and developing for
the various Unix OSs out there, all I can say is that Linux is the *worst*
thing we have to deal with...*mainly* because of the poor distribution
mechanism that they have.

	One distribution will have option A, that is required, while
the other distribution won't have it, so that an installer has to go
out and find, grab and install it manually (libdl.a, should be standard,
no?)

	Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, FreeBSD kicks butt in the fact
that everything *is* centralized...we *know* that the only thing we have
to compensate for is variations in versions, and even then, I haven't had
any problems running 3.0 binaries on 2.2 machines, so even variations in
versions haven't hampered us much.

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org