Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 1994 22:06:09 +0000 ()
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI NCR-SCSI woes

Hi,

I've been told to write to this list re: my problems.  I upgraded my
FreeBSD machine from a 486/66 EISA to a P90 PCI yesterday by basically
pulling out the hard drive from one and placing it in another and
booting & UserConfiguring kernel.GENERIC shipped w/ 2.0.5R.  So far
so good - system boots, everything works fine.

I did a sup and "make world" to get a -stable release, everything
makes, I configure a config file (below), make the new kernel, and
the pci code in the kernel no longer detects the ncr scsi device:
---snip---
probing for devices on the pci0 bus:
        configuration mode 1 allows 32 devices
changing root device to sd0a
panic: cannot mount root
---snip---

The confusing part is that it works fine w/ 2.0.5R but not with
2.1.0-STABLE.  Is it me, my machine, or the code, I wonder??  I
hope it's me!

System hardware:  AST Premmia GX P/90, 32 mb RAM, PCI ATI Mach64 Vid,
                  Soundblaster 16 ISA.  Onboard ncr/ethernet.  Disk
		  is 2 GB Micropolis.

Appropriate sections of my config file:  (FWIW, this was extracted
from someone who has the same pci/ncr controller as I):

config kernel root on wd0
controller isa0
controller pci0
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1
controller	ncr0
controller	scbus0

If you'd like to see my entire "CONFIG" file, please finger
bsd@jaguar.cris.com (I don't want to fill up everyone's mail box
excessively :))

Thank you very much!
- Richard Beerman