Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:22:34 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        "Charles M. Richmond" <cmr@iisc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: `pkg_info | grep -i openssh` ; echo "2.9 vs 3.0.2?" [cjc]

--veXX9dWIonWZEC6h

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:01:29AM -0400, Charles M. Richmond wrote:
>=20
>=20
> > Crist J. Clark wrote:
> Then I shall reprhase:
> Are you actually running the ssh(1) in /usr/local/bin/ssh or the old
> one in /usr/bin/ssh?
>=20
> Isn't that a bit of diconnect? pkfinfo doesn't care which
> executable his $PATH points at, right.

I believe the original poster mentioned pkg_info(1) output only as proof
that he had actually installed the newer version of OpenSSH.  Crist's
question is directly related to the OP's original question - why, when
he types 'ssh -V', the 'ssh' binary that is run reports version 2.9.
Crist is asking whether the new ssh(1) binary, which is probably
installed in /usr/local/bin/ssh, is the one that is actually ran; there
is another ssh(1) binary on the system, the one in /usr/bin/ssh, which
is probably still at 2.something.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20