Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 19:33:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VLAN support in -stable?

> I have just come across a big problem using vlans on a FreeBSD box. The mtu on
> the vlan interfaces is only 1496 bytes, the problem is that any packets
> destined for the Interface larger than this are just thrown away. The solution
> to this problem seems to be to allow larger ethernet packets, or to set the mtu
> on all the other systems on the vlan to 1496. The second solution is not
> practical for some of my networks, I will be looking at this more next week.

The problem is more complex, afaik. Recently, I attended a training
by a reputable hardware vendor and the guys noted few problems with
IEEE 802.1p and Q standards. They require that _hardware_
should accept a longer packets, because 802.1p/Q add extra
4 bytes to the ethernet frame. Therefore, all Ethernet
equipment on a network using VLAN must accept longer packets,
and that's what vendors say that they are 802.1p/Q compliant.
Usually, frames larger than old Ethernet maximum are thrown
away and counted as "giants".

The vendor reps really doubted if there is a chance to deploy
those standards on a large network; they also pointed
that this is a big problem to Ethernet switch vendors,
since this problem is not so easy to solve in software.

Even if all FreeBSD drivers would support larger packets
with new MTU still 1500, the problem is the underlying
hardware, not only NICs, but hubs, switches, etc.
and this is a real problem in employing 802.1p/Q standards,
not understanding an extra field.

However, I haven't confirmed this from indepenent source,
but the argumentation seems reasonable.

Cisco ISL seems to encapsulate a whole packet, and has similar problem:
(from http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/741/4.html):

The biggest implication for systems using ISL encapsulation is that the
encapsulation is a total of 30 bytes and fragmentation is not
required.  Therefore, if the encapsulated packet is 1518 bytes long,
the ISL packet will be 1548 bytes long. Additionally, if packets other
than Ethernet packets are encapsulated, the maximum length can be
greatly increased. This length change must be considered when
evaluating whether a MAC can support ISL packets.

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>