Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2020 14:43:17 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        Christopher Tipper <chris.tipper@gmail.com>
Cc:        gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: www/firefox

## Christopher Tipper (chris.tipper@gmail.com):

> 1. Firefox relases 78.0 is not sheduled until 30-Jun
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar
>     Why have there been two patches of this unreleased version in the last
> two days, particularly as pkg.freebsd.org cannot provide the releases fast
> enough?

It's standing policy (for several years now, really) to use the
release candidates in order to get critical fixes faster and to
have at least some chance to catch FreeBSD-specific regressions
earlier, especially as FreeBSD is not a fully-supported platform
at Mozilla.

>     Please maintain the discipline of the upstream relese cycle at least
> they know where the issues exist.

If it was that easy, they didn't need to do betas and RCs, wouldn't
they? And if you want to wait for the final version, you're free to
not upgrade right now.

> 2. From https://www.freshports.org/www/firefox/ this message is crazy you
> can't deprecate the only browser the platform provides that is fully
> functional? Chromium is not a viable alternative font rendering for
> Chromium is completely broken.

Font rendering in chromium being "completely broken" is news for me.
Having said that...
- chromium carries exactly the same deprecation warning.
- both upstream projects (mozilla and chromium) are working making
  their build systems (that's what this is about) Python 3 compatible.
  Last I heard was that mozilla is planning that for Firefox 80
  (no idea about ESR).
- nevertheless, Python 2 is going to go away at the end of the year,
  taking all the Python-2-only ports with it.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space