Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 1995 23:44:31 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   utmp ut_host field

Hi all..

telnetd will store the dotted IP address in the hostname field if the
actual name is too long to fit.

w detects this and correctly looks up the real name.

who does not, neither does finger.

tcsh does really strange things.. it tries to
gethostbyname("192.9.200.1") and other wierd things.

I like the idea of using the IP address if the full name wont fit, but
it's a bit annoying to see only some of the system understanding it.

Would there be objections to me going through and fixing it?  (ie: get
rlogind to generate the IP address in the same way that telnetd does, and
fix who,finger,tcsh etc so they understand it?

Cheers,
-Peter