Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:14:16 -0400
From:      "Darin" <derwood@naebunny.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.1 and localdaemons

Hello,
   This is my first try at FreeBSD.
I've been able to get the install completed and that seems fine.
I started compiling ports in and have discovered a problem.  I compiled =
in
ProFTPD and MySQL along with all their dependencies and found that they =
were
not starting up when the box would boot up.
I've checked /usr/local/etc/rc.d and can see the scripts there for =
proftpd
and mysql.  I checked the /etc/defaults/rc.conf and the path for
local_startup is set to /usr/local/etc/rc.d
The execute bit is set for all the startup scripts in =
/usr/local/etc/rc.d
also..
I tried turning on the rc_debug option so that I could see what happened =
in
the dmesg.
And I can see the following from dmesg -a output:

/etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: evaluating local_start().
Starting local daemons:
.

But, the ProFTPD and MySQL still wont start..
I did some digging in the scripts in /etc/rc.d and found the local and
localdaemons scripts.. After playing around a bit, I found that the
localdaemons script is actually what executes the local scripts.. But =
for
whatever reason, local is not starting localdaemons.
I can start both daemons manually by running their scripts manually, so
theres no problem that I can see with the installation..
I tried adding a line to the /etc/rc.d/local script that called the
localdaemons script.. When I rebooted, MySQL and ProFTPD start fine =
during
boot..
Anyone have any ideas on this one??

Darin -

Here is the local script:

#!/bin/sh
#
# $NetBSD: local,v 1.6 2002/03/22 04:33:59 thorpej Exp $
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/rc.d/local,v 1.4 2002/10/17 23:46:32 sobomax Exp $
#

# PROVIDE: local
# REQUIRE: DAEMON
# BEFORE:  LOGIN
# KEYWORD: FreeBSD NetBSD shutdown

. /etc/rc.subr

name=3D"local"
start_cmd=3D"local_start"
stop_cmd=3D"local_stop"

local_start()
{
        echo -n 'Starting local daemons:'
        if [ -f /etc/rc.local ]; then
                . /etc/rc.local
        fi
        echo '.'
}
# . /etc/rc.d/localdaemons start                ##I added this line to =
call
localdaemons. When uncommented MySQL and ProFPTD start fine.
local_stop()
{
        echo -n 'Shutting down local daemons:'
        if [ -f /etc/rc.shutdown.local ]; then